28 August 2011

WOC reflections and winning Bellmanstafetten


Photo: Jeremy Green

So World Orienteering Champs is over for another year, and I'm back home in Södertälje. After a tough spring, I had to readjust my goals for WOC, and my main aims were to perform to the best of my abilities regardless of positions. I managed to do that in both the Sprint and Middle distance finals, taking personal best placings of 4th and 11th, making it my best individual World Champs ever. I started conservatively in the middle distance, slightly fearful after watching the start of the long distance, but perhaps it was a good thing, allowing me to get into the map, and have a really strong last 2/3 of the race. I was slightly frustrated to be 1 second outside the top 10, but there is always next year!

The relay was obviously a disappointment. After 4th place last year, we had ambitions to fight for a top 6 again. Matt had a really bad day on first leg. It happens some times, especially in this terrain, so we were out of it before me and Scott ran.

All results and maps from WOC are online here

Bellmanstafetten
Yesterday I ran my first race for Enhörna athletics club in the annual 5*5km race in Stockholm. I ran the last leg, passed 2 teams near to the end to take the victory. There is a nice write up here (in Swedish).

No comments: